Tuesday, March 18, 2008

When life gives you lemons, STARE.



Cravings for corn-in-a-cup led fiance and I
to the SS2 night market yesterday.
We ended up buying more than just corns.

While walking back to the car,
with my hands full, holding onto food and drinks,
a bunch of people suddenly pushed against me from the back.

Fiance was walking pretty far in front.
And I was left behind.

Suddenly, I felt my handbag being tugged.
Sensing something was amiss,
my immediate reaction was to turn around.
And stare.

Not even looking at anyone else from the group,
I stared at just one lady with a ponytail.

Time stood still for few seconds,
then suddenly she held up her right hand,
showing me her palm, she told me
in a strong china-chinese accent:
“我的手没有拿东西啊!”= "See, my hand's empty!"
WHAT THE... YOU THINK I'M STUPID OR WHAT?
It's like saying:
此地无银三百两”= "I didn't steal anything"
I just kept staring at her,
while walking faster ahead to join fiance who's buying
sugarcane drink in front.
After she walked pass,
I told fiance,
"I almost got pickpocketed".

Reaching into my bag to check my belongings,
we discovered this (picture taken this morning):



It dawned onto us at that moment,
the severity of the whole event.
Her knife was so sharp,
it sliced through my bag (from front to back).
If I had placed my hand in front (I usually do),
it would have sliced my hand too.
My cut-opened DKNY bag contained:
RM130++ cash in purse
Two-week-old Sony Ericsson handphone
Handphone cover
House keys
Namecard holder
300ml water bottle
Office access card
Plaster
Pens
* Highlighted are my most priced possessions in bag.
MOMENT OF TRUTH
After rummaging through my bag,
I realised that I've lost nothing.
Nada. Zilch. Absolutely nothing was taken.

Praise the Lord.
After this episode,
remorseful fiance promised to walk beside me,
wherever I go.
Keep an eye on your belongings, ladies.
Try not to carry your bag when visiting
night markets or other crowded places.

And of course, don't ever underestimate
the power of a stare.

No comments: