Monday, December 03, 2007

Why I love Christmas - Part I


Met with a dear friend last night.
Merely few hours of meeting.
But I've brought home bucket loads of blessings.

My pregnant friend is going to pop anytime soon (most probably within the next few days).
Time flies amazingly fast.
I last saw her during her wedding end of last year.
And within the next few days, she'll be a mummy!

All of us, girls, fascinated by her bulging tummy,
gathered around to 'attempt' interaction with the 'soon-to-be-born' baby girl inside.

It was a great experience, feeling the movement inside a layer of skin.
Ahh... the human anatomy...
The genius of it... I can never comprehend.


Which brings me here to this 'partially-forsaken' blog.
Since Christmas is near,
I want to 'pen' (ahem, ok, type) down some thoughts about it.

I figured, what better way to start than to document on how I feel about my amazing God,
the creator of all things, the One who sent Jesus to die for us.

Yes, very religious I know.
But I can't help it. Shoot me.
My heart is just overwhelmed with thankfulness.

What inspired this post is my soon-to-be-mother friend,
But what pushed me to the point of no return to write this is - Leslie Lemke

Leslie was born prematurely in America, and was diagnosed with
glaucoma (optic nerve disease),
cerebral palsy (a disease that affects human development),
and brain damage.

His eyes had to be surgically removed in the first months of life.
And his birth mother subsequently gave him up for adoption.

A nurse named May Lemke adopted him when he was 6 months old.
She forced food down his throat because he doesn't know how to swallow,
and taught him how to make sounds so he could communicate.

When he was able, May literally strapped his fragile body to hers,
teaching him how, one step at a time, to walk.

She put his hands over hers as she played simple tunes on a piano she got for him.
And she sang to him.

7 years passed by, Lemke showed very little progress.
He made no sounds, shows no emotions, and little movements.

He first learnt to stand on his own two feet when he was 12 years old.
First step was taken when he was 15.

But, one day, when he was 14,
May Lemke woke up early in the morning,
when she heard someone playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 on the piano.

It was Leslie.
Someone who is blind, severely retarded, and can barely walk,
playing the musical piece from start to finish without any mistake.
He had only heard the piece once on television.

God's miracle, May said, came into full bloom that day.
From then on, Leslie was playing all styles of music.
He never had any piano lesson.
And all the music he played, he only heard them ONCE.

Today, he not only plays, but also improvises and composes.
He is identified as an autistic savant, though severely retarded, he'd shown that he too can create. If you've been watching the tv series, 'Heroes', I think Leslie is a hero with an amazing ability too.

May has passed away in 1993. But her daughter Mary continues to take care and cared for Leslie. Because May has vowed that Leslie will never be institutionalised, and he never was.

This is the most recent video that I can find of Leslie.
Accompanied by Mary in his performance.



Before she passed away, Morley Safer interviewed May and asked her how can Leslie do what he does. She said, "Well, I think, because the brain was damaged, a part of the brain — but the musical part — God left it perfectly healthy and beautiful so that Leslie could have a talent. And he got it!"

* A savant is a handicapped person who has skill(s) that would be remarkable even if they were to occur in a normal person. There are probably less than 100 savants described in this last century. Leslie is one in a billion.


I give praise to God for Leslie,
and I thank Him that you and I are born perfectly normal.

No comments: