Thursday, July 24, 2008

Absence.


Oh great.
Just when I kicked start the engine
to blog regularly again, I fell sick.

It all started 2 days ago.
I had a sneezing frenzy since the morning.
By noon, I couldn't take it anymore.
My trash bin was packed with my mucus-inhabited tissues.
So I went downstairs to the clinic in my office building,
to consult a doctor.

This clinic is part of my office's panel doctor.
Meaning, when I go, I just have to give them
my name and office I'm working in.
No need to pay (they'll bill my office direct).

Here's my experience with the doctor
that's on duty that day/hour
(they have a few doctors rotating shift).

Doc: Hi, what's wrong with you?
Me: (AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO TELL ME!?)
I'm having a sneezing frenzy. Maybe flu is coming?

Doc: Oh! Must be allergy.
Me: Allergy to what?
(MIND YOU, he jumped to this conclusion
even before taking my blood pressure!)
Doc: Oh, could be anything. Anything also can cause allergy.
I have that problem also.

* WHAT! Seriously, I felt like he's just making assumptions.
I think I'm allergic to you, DOCTOR!

While taking my BP, he tested my temperature.

Doc: See? Everything is normal.
Me: Sniff sniff. But I really don't feel too well.

Doc: You don't have fever. You just have allergy.
Since you're scared, I'll give you flu medicine.
But I don't think you're sick.

Me: Can I have the rest of the day off?
Doc: You only have allergy lah. It's not contagious.
You want to have half day off
even if you're not so sick ah?

JUDGMENTAL like nobody's business.
My eyes were watery.
My nose was running like a tap.
My body felt hot inside cold outside.
And I'm sweating in AIR-CON ROOM!
Tell me! HOW CAN I NOT BE SICK?

You think I'm SO FREE to come down here to
CHEAT YOU OF A PATHETIC HALF-DAY MC?

I finally got half-day off.
That evening,
my body felt like it's being roasted on fire.
I broke into cold sweat from head to toe.
My whole body was aching.
And I only managed to sleep at 3am.
If this is not sick, tell me what it is!
IDIOTIC, UNSCRUPULOUS DOCTOR!




The next day (yesterday),
I couldn't get up from my bed.
My whole body was aching like mad.
And my world was spinning in my head.

Slept until noon.
Then fiance brought me to see my
favourite doctor nearby my place.

First thing he said when he saw me is this:

Good doc: Hi, long time no see! Very good!
Me: I laughed and said not so good lah.
(Refrained myself from telling him
my horrible encounter the day before)

Good doc: Let me check your pulse.

IMPORTANT:
Did you notice, he didn't ask me this:
"What's wrong with you?"

He then took out his gadgets.
All electronic and high-tech looking.
Pretty cool stuff.
Well, he's a young doctor, so I think
young people prefer high-tech stuff.

That aside,
after he checked my pulse and BP,
he said this:

Good doc: Oh! You BP is a bit low.
You should feel a bit dizzy.
Are you dizzy?
Me: (OH PRAISE THE LORD! I'm not crazy)
Yup, I am.

Good doc: Hmmm... heartbeat is rather fast.
This tells me your body is fighting.
Should be a virus attack.
Let me check your temperature.

Took out another electronic device,
tapped my neck left and right, and said:

Good doc: Temperature is a bit low.
Is your body aching all over?
Me: (OH THANK YOU for diagnosing correctly)
Yeah, I am. But keep sweating.

Good doc: Yes. It's normal.
All these are symptoms of viral fever.
Your body is fighting.
So, you'd feel dizzy, and your body will
sweat, ache, and even though your body temp is cold,
inside you'll feel very hot. (WHOA! BINGO!)

Do you have sorethroat?
Let me check.

After showing him my throat, he said:
A bit red.
Take more Vitamin Cs.
It'll help the fight.

If your body lose this fight,
you should anticipate high fever.
But LET'S PREVENT THIS.

Ok. we're done.
I'll write you an MC.
(Do I have to beg and argue for an MC?
NO! Why? Because this is a DOCTOR, not an ASSUMER)

I waited outside for my medicine.
When they called my name, I was feeling apprehensive.
Coz I saw so many medicine!
* But no antibiotic (I noticed he rarely gives that).

5 packs of medicine in total.
I saw some are imported from Australia and Singapore.
Wah, quickly check purse to see if got enough cash.

But when the nurse handed me the bill,
I was pleasantly surprised. RM50!
(I was expecting an exorbitant price)

My gosh! It's the normal price!
Some doctors who are so-so charges even more,
and gives local cheapskate medicine
(the ones in SS2 usually charges RM50 - RM60).

Ahh... my purse felt good after leaving that clinic.
And so did my body. =)

This good doc has restored my faith
in the medical industry once again.

* If you want to know where his clinic is,
let me know.




No comments: