Monday, July 17, 2006

Kermit raptured?

Oh no! Before coming to work this morning, I discovered that Kermit has disappeared! I'm serious. It's not just him, his shell is gone also!

To be safe, I took Hermit out from the tank. I 'suspect' that Kermit has buried himself under the sand to MOLT! Now, it's Hermie's turn to be lonely. Oh well, I'll feed him snacks to cheer him up.

Few weeks ago, Hermie molted above the sand. So, it's easier for me to tell and check on him. But if Kermit is molting UNDER the sand, it's trickier. Coz I don't know if he's dead or alive underneath the sand!

Oh well, this is what I've found on the net:

"If your crab has buried herself in the sand and you haven't seen her for a while, it is natural to start wondering if she is molting or if she has died under there. However, if you are not sure if your crab is molting or dead, how you handle the situation may make the difference between life or death if your crab is indeed just molting. (AIKS!)

The safest thing to do is to assume your crab is molting. If you disturb a molting crab at a critical time while trying to determine if he is alive or not, the results can be disastrous." (GASP!)

Stressed! I've always been more relaxed around Hermie... Kermit is different. He's more erm... easily suspicious and when he's scared, he gets a bit violent and starts pinching. I noticed he'd been quite docile recently like no mood to change shell, didn't move around much and all, exactly the same symptom I saw on Hermie when he was about to molt.

So, I guess the best thing that I can do for Kermit now is to NOT TO DISTURB HIM and let him molt peacefully.

"If your crab has died, it will start to smell very badly (rotting smell, often "fishy") within a few days." --- Oh no, I hope Kermit is fine... Very worried now =(

No comments: