Monday, July 24, 2006

Me and my mammoth feet...


This morning, I was just thinking "When was the last time I bought a new pair of shoes". Suddenly, this thought triggered a childhood memory that I had of my great grandmother.

I hardly knew her. Maybe because she passed away many years ago at around the age of 96. At that time, I was only 7 or 8 years old. However, I distinctly remembered being scolded with my cousins when we were caught playing with her 'shoes'.

My great grandmother practised feet-binding. That's why her feet were super tiny. These kind of feet are called '三寸金莲' in Chinese (direct translated as three-inch golden lotus). During her days in China, feet of 3 inches (freakin' 10cm only!) are considered the IDEAL SIZE. To put it in modern terms, men considered women with 三寸金莲 'sexy'. (I think I'll die an old maid if I lived in China during those times... I mean, hello? I wear size 6 shoes!)

Anyway, the feet-binding practice is officially banned in the year 1911 in China (Thank God). However, there are still many women who have bound their feet that are still alive today.

The practice of foot binding began during the Tang Dynasty (618–907). According to legend, women were bound in this way to replicate an imperial concubine who danced with her feet wrapped in silk, the other concubines got envious and they all started binding their feet to make them look beautiful to impress the emperor. (Not very creative huh? I'm sure they could have caught the emperor's attention with something else. Sigh... too late)

I refrained from posting any pictures of bound feet here because I find them gross and scary. They looked more like deformed rather than bound.

This is because the girl's parents start binding their feet since they were infants. So, by the time they reach adulthood, their toes would have dropped off already (they consider it a blessing if it happens) or the poor toes would have been bent under the soles of the feet. (Trust me, it's not a pretty sight)

This process 'sounds' so painful. I really can't imagine how my great grandmother endured it all and came all the way to Malaysia from China on those feet. Whoa... she's a great woman.

So, let's take some time to admire these shoes that no one can walk in without falling.







Because their feet are so small, many women with bound feet cannot walk or stand without falling (they have to be carried or piggy-backed).

So, normally they would just sit down and do nothing while their parents arrange for them to be married off to some wealthy men. Unfortunately, not many women are lucky enough to marry into rich families with maids to take care of them.

Many married to commoners and they ended up having to do cleaning, take care of kids and settle household chores. They have to do all these even if they're suffering on those tiny feet. Poor thing.



5 comments:

Ciss said...

Wendy,
Haha... luckily you didn't see the actual pic. =)

Anonymous said...

hey cissie just started to read ur blog today.... keep up the good work !! say HI to everyone 4 me !

Ciss said...

Yang Wei,
Wow! I never expected that you might be reading my blog. Hehe... WELCOME WELCOME... Hope u enjoy reading it.

I'll tell others u said hi!

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»